Thursday, September 4, 2014

Rescue Dog - My New Friend Storm

A New Friend

I made a new friend over the Labor Day weekend. His name is Storm.

At first I was anxious about meeting him because he is a lot bigger than me. And I had never seen any other dogs yet that weren't just like me. Storm was all white! All I ever knew about were Australian Blue Heeler cattle dogs like me.

My new friend, Storm.
After I got to know him better (read that - after I was done smelling his butt) I wasn't anxious anymore. He is a really nice guy and he has quite a story. After he left I contacted his owners and asked them for some more information so I wouldn't mess it up by going from memory. Heck, I still have trouble remembering to ring my new cow bell at times! (read that - I wet on the floor the other day!) If you hear your owner guy shouting "Ring the Bell!! Ring the Bell!!" and he is heading your way you think "Oops!" and you know you are in trouble.

My new cow bell Dingo gave me. (Camden always gets in my pictures!)

A white dog! Who'd a thunk it?
Storm's Story

Here is a snippet of the email response I got from Storm's owners. 
Storm is an American Eskimo.  A member of the Spitz breed.  Girl { that was the name of the previous dog they owned} was the same but she was a Samoyed.
They look a lot alike except she weighed a little under 60#.  Where Storm weighs 40#.
We've had him about 4yrs.  We found him on petfinder.com
It's a great site for a person looking for a rescue animal.
When we first saw him we thought he was a color called "Biscuit"
But after a few baths we discovered he was actually White.  It seems that his previous owners were heavy smokers.  Nicotine stained.
He was loaded with fleas.  Three baths later with Dawn dish soap and he was ready to sleep inside.
Normally there is an adoption fee but the rescue cntr said they would waive the fee if we would take care of his vet bills.
Boy did we make the wrong decision.  He needed all his shots.  Had 4 teeth removed during his dental exam.
We spent over $400.00 real quick.
We have now gotten 2 animals from rescue cntrs. And both have proven to be great companions.
I am glad that Storm found great owners who love him. And I am really glad to meet such a nice new friend. 


3 comments:

  1. Coop - Tell your humans to hang the bell so it is closer to the floor. Looks too high - even for a big guy like you. -- DINGO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dingo but that is not the problem. I can reach way higher than the handle if I want to. I just need to remember. - Coop

      Delete
  2. Coop - Typical Man! -- DINGO

    ReplyDelete