Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fetching Issues

Go Fetch

 I have been working on fetching.

It isn't going so good. I just don't understand why, if I am with someone, sitting on their lap or at their feet playing with an object like a ball or a stick why would they then take it and throw it several yards away? And then, why would they say "Go get it!"? We just had it!

I mean, if we already had it, and were having fun, why in the world would you want to throw it away? I can only conclude that you are done with it and don't want to play anymore. And if I do go to all the trouble to go and get it and give it back to you, and then you just throw it away again, well, that is just rude.

Mom's Favorite Boots

I think I can trace my issue with fetching back to my early puppy hood and my mom's favorite boots. She has a pair of muck boots that she loves. She wears them all the time. To hang laundry. To take out trash. To get the mail. She puts them on and off about 20 times a day.

My mom's favorite muck boots

         

I can remember getting them for her once when I was little and her calling me "Good boy!" and then taking them and throwing them away again. And now whenever I go after them thinking she will probably want them again soon I get yelled at! Why was I a "Good Boy" when I was little, but now why do I get in trouble?  I am confused. I am working on this fetching issue.

I went back to the archives and researched my early puppy hood. Here is a video I uncovered that I think may have been the start of my issue with fetching. Notice I brought her boot to her and she just threw it away again!


Cooper's Advice

We all have issues from our past. Things we have done, or things that were done to us. I am determined to face my past, work through it, and grow. I would encourage you to do the same. We can get through this! I will learn how to fetch. I will do it for my humans.





2 comments:

  1. Coop your blogs are so thought provoking. I can only imagine how confusing all this is for you but trust us buddy it will all make sense someday. Thank goodness you are so smart. Some pups never get it. Keep up the good work Coop. We are cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am cheering for you! Thanks for the encouraging words.You are like my papa Duke, an encourager. (See today's (9/10/2014) post).Have a wonderful day -- Coop

      Delete