Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Storm's Story (guest blogger)


Storm

Hi there, one and all. I'm today's guest blogger, Storm. When I visited Cooper a few weeks ago he said he might let me try my paw at this and give him a break, so here goes.
I know he told you a little about my breed, which is American Eskimo, but I would like to share some personal things. First of all, I am a rescue dog. I was living with some folks who had lost interest in me. I lived in a crate on the breezeway, no walks, and when I was in the house my white coat slowly turned biscuit color because of their smoking like chimneys. Sometimes there was mistreatment, too. I remember when I first got to know Mom and Dad (what I call the humans who took me out of there) I would cringe or move under the table every time they picked up their canes or even the newspaper because I thought it meant I was going to get whacked. Of course
I am much better with things like that now because I know that is not going to happen anymore. I think I may be about 11 now (or 77) because I have no idea when I was born or who my parents were.
(I checked out Ancestry.com once to see if I could find any info but you know that was totally unhelpful)
Anyway, my prospective parents came to meet me and Dad wanted me right away but Mom wasn't so sure. (They had just lost their Samoyed, Girl, a couple weeks before to cancer. Since she had been a rescue dog they wanted a rescue again because they had had 10 happy years with her). But we all got in the car and headed to my new home – a 2 hour trip.  I sat like a perfect gentleman.  They really liked that.  I didn't have any luggage but I did bring something with me.... fleas and plenty of them. So the "fun" began as soon as we got home. Dad got out the hose and some Dawn and you can guess what happened next.  I figured okay, this is to be expected but then after he rinsed me...he lathered me up again! I sat for 5 more minutes while the Dawn did its thing and then rinsed again. At least I looked more like myself - I was white again and fluffy. Dad still wasn't satisfied ( I think he saw some renegade fleas) so the next day into the garden tub I went, with Dad, and we cleaned up for the last time. At last I was flea-free! Dawn's not just for dishes because I haven't had any fleas since and it's been 4 years. (of course judicious use of Frontline doesn't hurt either)

Yea!  I’m white and wet.  (My 1st bath) 

I am happy and thankful to be living with folks who really want me and show it. I always have food and water, sometimes treats, walks, trips to the vet/groomer for a "spa day" and Dad even shares some of his chicken and jerky with me while Mom sometimes shares a little cheese from her pizza. They even allow me to nap with them, on their bed!  (At night I have to lay down beside the bed and I snore, but they don't mind) And while I understand that we don't speak the same language, honestly when Mom leans in close and smiles at me and I see her brown eyes (just like mine) and she talks just to me or kisses me, well then I understand what she is saying. I'm sure it translates to "Storm, I love you and I'm glad you're here with us!" It's just not that hard to figure out. And while she's that close I kiss her, too. (It's much harder to get Dad. He seems to like human kisses much better.)

My human mom (Jane) & dad  (Ed)

Well, enough for now. In future I plan to cover topics such as: my spa days, how my daily routine differs from Coop's, road trips, my life with 2 cats and sometimes more, and some encounters with wild and not-so-wild animals that live around here near York, PA.

I hope you'll enjoy reading them. 


2 comments:

  1. Coop's mom says "great job, Storm". Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky Storm and lucky family I say. Wonderful story. I think you have a future as a Blogger girlfriend. KJ

    ReplyDelete