Friday, August 22, 2014

Looking For Work

When reading the Alpha Dog article the other day I saw this quote and it got me thinking.
A well-trained obedient dog is a happy dog and a joy to live with. Dogs want to please and need a job to do.
Yep, I am getting bigger now and it is time I got a job. I want to contribute to the family.

But what should I do? I have been studying my trade, Cattle Transportation, at Texas A&M. Click here to see a great short video on the cattle transportation industry.  It has some good insight from some Ph.D.'s on the latest techniques. Today's emphasis is on animal welfare and reducing bruises and stress. This provides better quality meat. The trailers today even have special flooring. Nowadays they would never allow me to show those cows who is boss and give them a good nip in the heels.

Moving cattle isn't what it used to be. Dogs have been replaced. 
The bottom line is there is not much call for dogs anymore in the cattle transportation business. Finding work in this field is kinda like trying to sell buggy whips or 8 track tapes. Good luck with that. This is 2014 and an out of work cattle dog has to get with the changing times and come up with a new career.

I went to the river (Lock 15) to clear my head and ponder my future. 
I have come up with a couple of possibilities for work. If you have any ideas what a cattle dog could do these days drop me a note in the comments. I am open for suggestions. I will let you know what I come up with in future posts.


5 comments:

  1. Coop - See if you can find a farm with sheep. I'm really good at herding the cats, but not quite ready for cattle. That would be so cool if we could do that! - DINGO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some chewy bone treats at the Family Dollar store in Red Lion. The brand name was "DINGO". It gave me an idea. Maybe I will start a business. Did you start selling your own line of treats? -- Coop

      Delete
  2. No, it's not me. Gotta watch out for $ Store items. Lots of imports from China. Plus, what if they are made from real Dingo meat!! �� -- DINGO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biggest and most importantly you have nailed already. Keeping your humans happy and content. Good job Coop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. -- Coop

      Delete