Friday, October 10, 2014

Roundup Practice

A snippet from an Ohio paper. They said it was "Udder Chaos".
They really did.  I wouldn't "steer" you wrong. 
Since the invention of the barbed wire fence there hasn't been much use for cattle dogs. That's why I decided to become a blogger.

I saw in the news that a cattle truck crashed in Ohio and there were 70 cows on the loose. They were asking for help.

It got me thinking. That could happen here. So I thought I should keep my herding skills up to speed. I need to be ready.

My grandma doesn't have cattle but there are horses over there. I thought I could practice on them. If you are good at herding it doesn't matter if they are cows, horses, goats, sheep, or buffalo.

So I went over to do a little honing of my skills. Here is a short tutorial from the Coopster on herding.

1. Get the big picture. Take note of the terrain. Escape routes. Plan the path and direction you will be taking them.

First you have to get the big picture. The lay of the land. 

2. Study your client. Take your time. Watch their every move. Learn their tendencies. This may take a little time. Possibly 20 to 30 minutes.

It is a good idea to practice on only one client at a time in the beginning. 

3. Position yourself. Slowly circle and get the client between you and your desired destination.

Make very slow movements. You don't want to alarm your client. 

4. Always listen for your owner. And when he says "Get back here on this side of the fence" it is a really good idea to listen. That means practice is over for the day.

When your owner calls run back under the fence as fast as you can. 

Whew! I was getting really close to that white horse. I thought my owner guy was never going to call me back!




4 comments:

  1. Coop - Excellent herding skills! Maybe next time I visit we could "tag team" that horse. I had a great time seeing you yesterday. Wore me out! I did a lot of sleeping when I got home! -- DINGO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure give each other a workout! Next time we will have to go to the river. But you can't get to the middle now. They opened up a kayak lane with white water. We will have to check the schedule before we go. -- Coop P.S. I am ready for another post from you!

      Delete
  2. You be careful little buddy. Horses have a mighty kick. Stay back from them. No horse-ing around. Impressive pics though. KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That horse is big but I have speed on my side. I am fast as lightening. If you ever see any cattle in your yard call me. -- Coop

      Delete