Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Rapids In My River

My recent post The Middle Of The River had pictures of me way out in the middle of the Susquehanna River looking back at my mom. Well I went down to the river again on 10/8 but this time I was in for a real surprise. Everything had changed.

I like when my human sister goes with me. I get to sit on her lap. 

Heraclitus was right. It was a very different river than I had stepped into just last week. There was no way I could walk out to the middle. The calm flowing streams and ponds with stepping stones were covered by raging white water rapids.

And there were several people with kayaks checking out the swift currents. What have they done with my river?  I did some searching and found this article from yesterday.

 $4 million whitewater playboating park below Holtwood Dam tested, about to open to public. (click if you would like to read) 

Here is an excerpt from the news article. A kayaker from Safe Harbor said he .......
....expects the waterpark to return big dividends of its own. “We’re hoping we will host a world event here in the future,” he says. That would bring hundreds of kayakers and thousands of spectators.
Also, he foresees the park being used as a training ground for first responders in the region for swiftwater rescue. A vehicle could be submerged for underwater rescue training.
“I think it will be real good for the area,” Samms says. “The facility itself can do good for the community.” 
I am not sure where they will park if they get thousands of spectators. There were only 8 kayakers there when we went and the about 10 available parking spots were filled. We had to park way up McCall's Ferry Road at a spot that said "No Parking" and hike down. Really guys? You ready for hundreds of kayakers and thousands of spectators? 

Check out the video I made. I caught one guy rolling upside down. Looked like fun. I just might have to buy a kayak. Or a playboat. Or whatever they call them. 


Hey buddy, where can I get a boat like that? 

This post is now over but here is a bonus thought Papa Duke taught me. Except he used the word dog instead of man.

Heraclitus was right when he said;
"No man ever steps in the same river twice."
Was he referring to the river, or the man?  Or both?  Think about it. 







2 comments:

  1. Loved your blog today. Lots of action at the river. And you dear Coop are a always right in the middle of the action. kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KJ. Know where I might be able to get a good buy on a kayak? I think I could be world class and enter the competition., -- Coop

      Delete