Monday, October 27, 2014

(Flying) Fish Story

"It was a dark and stormy night..."  ha ha just kidding. I always wanted to begin a story that way. I have been studying a famous dog named Snoopy to improve my writing skills. You may have heard of him.



This post almost didn't get published because I thought no one would believe it. But that really doesn't matter because it did happen. You can't make this stuff up.

Raining Fish

You may have heard the saying "raining cats and dogs". Well did you ever hear of "raining fish"?

It was a bright and breezy morning. (Studying Snoopy is paying off!) I was out with my human owner heading to a couple of our favorite hiking spots. Our first destination, Urey Overlook. We were driving north on Furnace Road just beyond Otter Creek Campground when an eagle flew out of the woods and started flying north too, right in front of us. And it was carrying a fish.

It was a juvenile, only 1 to 2 years old. It was still mostly brown and spotted with white. We followed it for about 100 feet when it dropped the fish and it almost hit our car. It landed to our left in the other lane. If another car would have been coming it would have landed right in the windshield. I wonder if car insurance covers broken windows from "raining fish".

A muskellunge landed right beside our car. The eagle flew off to the right. 

My owner turned the car around to go back and get a picture of it. He couldn't get a picture of the eagle flying because he was driving and it happened too quick. But he can verify my fish story. What an exciting start to our hike.

It's back end was missing. I guess the tail fins were breakfast. 

It was very fresh. The best part was still there. 

It was fresh.  I wanted my owner guy to keep it. To take it back for mom to clean and cook up for breakfast but he wouldn't do it. She makes fish for supper. I bet she would have loved to have some fresh fish.

Today's take away:
When you are out hiking always look up. You never know when an eagle will throw a fish at you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment